Sunday, March 9, 2014

Ken's Hunting Story


So I did a lot of bow hunting when I was younger.  This one time I was out and Ih ad seen anything. It was getting late so I decided to call it a day. Just then a buck in the distance, heading his way. So, I wait for it to get closer. But the he stops and starts looking around, acting nervous. Now I was upwind, and I didn’t think it had seen me in my blind. So, I was wondering, what was spooking this buck. Then, I see something else moving in the brush. 

At first I thought it was just another deer, but it was too low to the ground. It was moving really slow, but eventually it gets comes out of cover enough I can see it. It’s a cougar. Big fella, crouched down sneaking real slow like. Now, I figure he was just after the buck. But still, I keep a close eye on him. He stands still for a real long time. Then he starts stalking foreword again. The deer gets wind of him and takes off like a shot. The funny thing is though he doesn’t go after it. He just stays were he is for a while. Then, he starts moving foreword again. Towards me. That’s when I realize, he’s not after the deer. He’s after me. 

Now Cougars don’t usually go after people, so I figured it was just because he hadn’t got a good look at me. So went ahead and stood up and started waving my arms and yelling. He stops and stands still for a second but he doesn’t leave. That’s when I started to get worried. It was getting dark fast, and he was in between me and my truck. Now I didn’t have a gun on me, just a bow. I do a little more waving and yelling but he doesn’t back off. Just sits there watching me. 


Now, there’s a big fine for killing a cougar, but I was loosing visibility and I didn’t want to get eaten. So, I sat back down and drew back. He was in the shadows, but there was a white patch his chest. So I made that my target, drew, and released. I saw the arrow hit the patch and I head the brush crashing as he took off running, but I lost sight of him. I notched another arrow and waited for a minute, but I couldn’t see him. I decided I had better just go. As I passed the bush he was hiding in, I saw blood trail leading away South. I probably could have followed till he bled out, but I wasn’t about to track a wound cougar in the dark. I high tailed it to my truck and got out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment