Monday, March 10, 2014

Paul's Farm Story

I was working on a summer harvest crew with a couple of my high school buddies. Since we traveled to different fields, we had an outhouse on a small trailer our boss had made out spare parts. Everyday we would hitch the trailer to the crew pickup and drive out to the field. One day, as we were driving down the road we hit a pothole. It wasn’t that big of a hole and it hardly jostled us in big chevy’s lifted cab. However it was more then the outhouse could take. I looked back to see it rolling in the opposite directing, a streamer of toilet paper flying out the back. 

We all stood there for a minute, trying to work the courage to drag the thing out of the ditch. Stalling for time, I took out my phone, took a picture of the crew staring around the upturned outhouse, and sent it to Facebook with the caption “Working hard at the Smith Seed Farm”. I thought it very clever. But, I had forgotten something. At some point in summer’s past, I had added my boss on Facebook. He never posted anything, ever. So I had forgotten about his presence completely. About ten seconds later I got a Facebook notification that someone had commented on my picture. It was a one word comment from Denver Smith. “Nice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment